What is Mystery Skype/Mystery Hangouts?
Mystery Skype is an education game, invented by teachers, played by two classrooms on Skype.The aim of the game is to guess the location of the other classroom by asking each other questions. The aim of the game is to guess the location of the other classroom by asking each other questions." (Mr. Kemp, check out this blog post at the link below for more information if you are interested in this activity).
Why this was my best day and How I saw my student grow...
1. Global awareness increased. They loved the end times where they could ask the other class questions about what's it is like to live in their location.
2. They learned how to read an atlas and became aware of famous landmarks that may not have learned about in my current curricula.
3. Deduction and questioning skills increased in positive ways. Students wanted to make sure that they asked the best questions that helped them narrow down the mystery location most.
4. Engagement was high and students were excited about learning. Gamification at its finest
5. Tier 2 and Tier 3 vocabulary was being used in running speech and writing. That's a biggie!
6. By answering the questions of the other class they became aware of their own state, county and town. I was surprised by what they did not know regarding where they lived.